Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Une lettre

Until you are away from home without the ability to talk to family and friends every day you will never come to understand the joy that a simple letter can invoke in a person. Today I received a letter from a family I stayed with in France several years ago. It wasn't fancy, just a simple hand written note which I was ecstatic to receive. It got me thinking about how I would feel if I couldn't even hear from my family once a week, how horrible would that be? I wonder if that's anything close to how our Heavenly Father feels when we don't regularly come to Him in prayer. Prayer is our best source of communication with our Father in Heaven, it's much like a telephone call home. Through prayer we can tell our Father how we are feeling, verbally express what we need and what we are grateful for. He wants to hear from us everyday in the same way that my parents want to hear from me and I will want to hear from my children. When looking at prayer from the perspective of parent to child and child to parent I can truly feel its necessity and understand why prayer is so often mentioned in the scriptures. What a beautiful gift and magnificent form of communication.

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God (Philippians 4:6)."

No comments:

Post a Comment