Sunday, April 10, 2011

La vie

How do you stay strong in the face of adversity? Life is filled with difficult times. Things that we never thought would happen to us seem to invade our reality at an ever increasing rate. I always thought that while people served missions that they and their families would somehow be preserved, protected for that period of time, nothing could touch them. As I sit here in front of the computer I realize that no matter where we are in life we are in no way immune to the whiles of the Devil. I just received news that a friend from college passed away. Although her and I were never really close, she means a great deal to someone who has meant the world to me. Death of a loved one is never something that one can prepare for but one thing we can take comfort in is the knowledge that this life isn't the end, it's all so much bigger than this world.

A man named Jesus Christ was a carpenter and in His 30's He revealed himself as the Son of God, the literal Savior of the world. From the immaculate conception to the garden of Gethsemane and the finality of the empty tomb, there is no doubt in Christ's divinity and mission here on earth. All these moments in history added up to the single most important event in the world, the atonement. As Christ conquered death and the pain in Gethsemane He opened the door that we too may conquer the grave. It can be hard when faced with the loss of a loved one to remember the gift of a loving Father in Heaven but what a beautiful gift it is. When my Grandfather passed away last year rather suddenly I couldn't understand why at that moment in time did my Father in Heaven take him away from us. He was the glue that always held us together, our foundation. At his funeral we sang a closing hymn that really struck me, the last two versus of "How Great Thou Art" (written by Stuart K. Hine) read:
And when I think that God, his Son not sparing,
Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin, 
When Christ shall come, with shout of acclamation,
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration
And there proclaim, "My God, how great thou art!"
Death is never easy but as we remember the eternal perspective these unbearable moments may be faced with courage and strength.  I am so grateful for this knowledge that this life isn't the end. Because of Christ and His sacrifice I will be able to see my Grandfather again, as I face trials with this in mind the Holy Ghost speaks peace to my soul. I may be on a mission and unable to assist those I love through their trials but I can go on serving knowing that it is in the Lord's hands, what better place for them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment