Monday, April 4, 2011

Conférence général d'avril 2011

It has been such an amazingly crazy weekend at Temple Square. Thousands of people from all over the world have gathered in this 35 acres for the semi-annual event called General Conference. Many have had the opportunity to listen to living prophets give us guidance in this crazy world, what a wonderful blessing it is to have a living prophet today! All of the addresses were wonderful and uplifting but one in particular really made an impression on me. Each time I study or listen to conference I begin with a question in my heart and mind that I am in need of an answer to. Every time without fail within the course of the conference or studying I am able to find an answer, this General Conference was no exception. As I sat in the Conference Center awaiting the beginning of the Saturday Afternoon Session I began to think a lot about what I really wanted out of life and how to attain the goals I have of going to graduate school, being a Mom, a Grandmother etc. Towards the end of the session I began to become a little discouraged as I didn't really feel like I was receiving an answer to how I could achieve all the goals I have set for myself. Finally Elder Dallin H. Oaks got up and said just what I needed to hear and what Heavenly Father would have me know. One thing he said that really struck me was, "Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices and choices determine our actions." Almost a year a go I had the desire to serve a full time mission so I made it my priority to prepare to serve, made the choice to go by filling out the necessary paperwork then took action by coming to the Utah Salt Lake City Temple Square Mission. Since I have been here life has been nothing short of an extreme roller coaster ride filled with unanticipated twists and turns. Now as I sit almost half way through my mission I can't help but think about the next step my life must take when I return home. So there I sat in this giant auditorium with 21,000 people as Spirit reminded me of the commitment that I made as I chose to make serving a mission my priority. In the Doctrine and Covenants Section 4 it states, "O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." Elder Oaks's talk was a subtle reminder that I had allowed my priorities to become muddled with distractions of the future. I hadn't even recognized how truly distracted I was as I sat pondering and day dreaming about the future while there was still so much work to be done in the present. How often does that happen in society? How often do we sit waiting for tomorrow when we haven't completed today and how much do we miss out on as we allow the days to pass us by? I pray that I do not get caught in the snare of "what if's" for there is far too much to do in the "right now's."

1 comment:

  1. Your message is one to remember as I reply to you I realize I too must do all I can in the present. Thanks for the uplifting loving message. Grams

    ReplyDelete